Wednesday 4 July 2012

What. A. Day!

Someday's make you reach for a bottle of red way more than others... yesterday was just that kinda day!

It started the day before when a beep from my mobile flashed up a calander reminder. Six months ago they found abnormal cells on my cervix during a rountine screening, and as per the normal course of action for such things, wanted to leave it for six months then retest me. So after a day or two panicing I pushed it to the back of my mind where it firmly remained... until the lovely electronic 24 hour reminder popped up!

Well at this point I had 2 cats booked in for surgery at the vets, and no babysitter. A quick text confirmed Grandma-A was at work, but then I remembered HTB had a day of. A quick plea via facebook was all it took and he came rushing to my aid and it all worked out perfectly!

Well no... not quite! The minute Son is out of bed the next day it begins. Now Son is normally a well behaved if over talkative and excitable child... but the past week that has been slowly disappearing. After a day of none stop naughty-step action and a reward chart being ripped to shreds in sheer frustration, it came time for me to trot of to hospital and leave HTB with kids and instructions on picking up cats from vets.

I was gone an hour and a half... which is apparently how long it takes for all out freaking chaos to insue.

I step out of car to see HTB also pulling up. He hadn't got cats... he did have a rather smug looking Son and a look of anger/demented frustration in his eyes. "I can't live with this kid... I can't... I won't..."
"Brilliant. Give me the vets papers *I'll* go and get them"
"Well I can still go and get them now..."
"Give. Me. The. Freaking. Vets. Papers!!!"

So off I drive to vets with kids in car... working out where the closest place that sells vodka is. Son still suspiciously quiet.

By the time I get back HTB is sitting on the front door step chain smoking. I take a minute or so in the car before I get out... always a good idea. Anyhoo, by the time I get to door he's hugging me and mumbling something along the lines of "How?... How do you?... They just won't do... They just run... and... What?..."

Once we had the children somewhat distracted we decided that we needed to get to the bottom of Son turning into a demon child asap. As I was somewhat emotionally raw from the combination of the fact my cervix might be trying to kill me and the fact my happy little almost-step-family almost imploded on itself, HTB decided he was staying over and trundelled off to collect wine and junk food -(and as it turns out flowers and chocolate).

So I summon Son, for a quiet little chat...
"Do you still want us to live with [HTB]?"
After a few minutes of staring at the floor I get a slow nod.
"You don't seem very sure sweetheart, whats wrong?"
After a few minutes consideration "Nothing... I don't know... I feel funny inside."
"Do you feel sad inside? I thought you liked [HTB] and your not being very nice to him at the minute."
Several minutes contemplation and looking sad, but then a breakthrough: "I do like him but I heard [Grandma-B] saying she's going to miss us coz the new house is far, far away..."

Well after promising it wasn't actually *that* far away, that he'd still see Grandparents-B, and that he could have his own skype set up to talk to them whenever -(and a cuddle)- all now seems well and quiet and back on track. I've no doubt their will be a few more man-of-the-house style clashes between HTB and Son but I think -(hope)- we've cleared a hurdle.

No comments:

Post a Comment